For tsatsiki sauce:
- 1/2 seedless cucumber (usually plastic-wrapped), peeled, seeded, and chopped (1cup)
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Coarse Salt and Freshly ground white pepper to taste (can use black pepper)
For lamb sandwiches:
- 4 (6-inch) pita whole wheat pockets, halved crosswise
- 1 (1/4-inch-thick) bone-in lamb steak from leg (1 1/2 lb), trimmed of excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup romaine or bib lettuce, loosely chopped
- Greek Salad Dressing (or red wine vinegar dressing)
Make tsatsiki sauce:
Finely chop the cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt. Stir in mint and chill, covered, until serving.
Make lamb sandwiches:
Wrap pitas in foil and put in lower third of oven to warm while broiling lamb.
Put lamb on oiled rack of a broiler pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil lamb 5 to 6 inches from heat, turning over once, 12 to 14 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
Stuff warm pita pockets with lettuce, cheese and lamb. Sprinkle with dressing and yogurt sauce and serve.