Pasture-fed animals may produce meat that has enhanced health benefits according to a new research, published by the Chicago-based Institute of Food Technologists.
Email us your grassfed news GrassfedNews@americangrassfed.org
Join our media list: MediaList@americangrassfed.org
Global meat scandal sees US on look-out for greater transparency
Being a trusted manufacturer is key to success in the branded meat market in the US, according to new analysis by Canadean.
In the Pastures of Columbia, Cows, Crops and Timber Coexist
As an ambitious program in Colombia demonstrates, combining grazing and agriculture with tree cultivation can coax more food from each acre, boost farmers’ incomes, restore degraded landscapes, and make farmland more resilient to climate change.
Over the last two decades, cattle rancher Carlos Hernando Molina has replaced 220 acres of open pastureland with trees, shrubs, and bushy vegetation. But he hasn’t eliminated the cows. Today, his land in southwestern Colombia more closely resembles a perennial nursery at a garden center than a grazing area. Native, high-value timber like mahogany and samanea grow close together along the perimeter of the pasture. The trees are strung with electric wire and act as live fences. In the middle of the pen grow leucaena trees, a protein-packed forage tree, and beneath the leucaena are three types of tropical grasses and groundcover such as peanuts.
The plants provide his 90 head of cattle with vertical layers of grazing, leading to twice the milk and meat production per acre while reducing the amount of land needed to raise them. His operation is part of a trend globally to sustainably coax more food from each acre — without chemicals and fertilizers — while reducing greenhouse gas emissions, increasing biodiversity, and enhancing the land’s ability to withstand the effects of climate change.
- Pasture-fed animals may produce healthier meat, says new report
- Global meat scandal sees US on look-out for greater transparency
- In the Pastures of Columbia, Cows, Crops and Timber Coexist
- The Fat of the Land: Eating Red Meat
- Reversing Desertification with Livestock
- Irish Grassfed Beef Approved for US
- AGA Ranch Day Speaker Line-up Announced
- AGA Ranch Day to Feature Allan Savory
- Why the beef checkoff needs reform
- The Legal Implications of Food Safety for Grassfed Producers
- Why Grassfed Is Best
- Why Meat Terminology Is Important
- Consumers Want Transparency in Labeling, According to New Study
- AGA Approves New Feed Supplement
- Grasslands Soils Offer Some Insurance Against Climate Change
- How to Buy Grassfed Meats
- NRCS Funding New Mississippi River Basin Initiative Projects
- Unique meat processing plant opens in McDowell, NC
- By Refusing to Ban Giving Healthy Livestock Daily Doses of Antibiotics, the FDA Puts Corporate Profits Above Consumers’ Health
- Use of Synthetic Preservatives, Genetically Mutated Ingredients and Weak Animal Welfare Standards Headed for Vote by USDA Panel
- More Action Needed! 2012 Farm Bill and the Super Committee
- Action Needed! Another Proposed Animal ID Rule
- Recording and slides from nutrition labeling webinar now posted
- Organic, Natural and Grassfed Beef: Profitability and Constraints to Production in the Midwestern United States
- COOL enforcement lax, audit finds
- Organic Farming Works, According to 30-Year Rodale Study
- New Meat Labeling Rules On the Way!
- Chico Basin Ranch Presents 11th Annual Art Exhibition
- Good News For Vermont Producers and Consumers
- Chipotle Mexican Grill Creates Chipotle Cultivate Foundation to Support Those Working to Make a Better Future
- Not Taking the EWG Pledge
- An Easy-to-Understand Graphic about the 2012 Farm Bill
- Commentary: Beef vs. veggie burger
- What the USDA Doesn’t Want You to Know About Antibiotics and Factory Farms
- Cattle Tested for Effects of Altitude on Heart
- Spirituality in the kitchen: Wholesome and halal
- USDA Launches Online Resource to Help Producers Get Products to Market, Bolster Local and Regional Economies
- Heat, Humidity and Windless Days are Bad News for Cattle
- AGA Member Featured in Documentary
- House Bill Slashes Conservation Funding
- Need Funding? Check out USDA’s Value-Added Producer Grants
- USDA Finds in Favor of Grass-Fed Cows
- Action Alert! Urgent! A Rare Opportunity to Defend GIPSA Rule. Please Act Now.
- House Republicans Aim Pitchfork at Food-System Reform
- Some vegetarians beat a ‘humane’ retreat back to meat
- Groups Sue FDA for Putting Pigs Before People
- NYT: Tests Reveal Mislabeling of Fish — “Bait and Switch: How Seafood Fraud Hurts…”
- Mobile Meat Processing Unit Achieves USDA Certification
- Grass-fed beef holds big promise in Southeast
- Chemists Design Method to Figure Out What Your Meat Ate
- Marketing Beef, Perceived Values
- Organic is not enough, the healthiest meat is Grassfed
- For more sustainable agricultural systems, a total makeover is needed
- A Government of Monsanto, by Monsanto, and for Monsanto?
- Tail hair tells tale of cattle’s diet — Scientists trace grassland production
- Food Label Decoder
- Drug-resistant bacteria found in half of U.S. meat
- Not all Organic is Equal–Final chance to let the NOSB know what you think!
- Smart Spending: 8 easy swaps to save money and/or the Earth
- GM crops may be linked to a dangerous new pathogen – learn more!
- Organic Farming Research Foundation Brings Organic Farmers to Capitol Hill April 6-7
- Frankenmilk? Genetically modified cows produce ‘human’ milk
- Certified Fake: False Organic Food Labels Are New Foreign Menace
- Is This the World’s Most Effortless Way to Slim Your Waistline?
- AGA Beef Director, Will Harris III, Named Georgia’s 2011 Small Business Person of the Year
- Healthy eating strategies: Food writer talks weight loss, how wonderful meals made him thinner
- From grass to plate: How does the cow’s diet affect your beef?
- Wendell Berry Receives Humanities Medal from Obama
- Real Food: Pot roast even better with grass-fed beef
- Dr. Joseph Mercola: When Meat Contains Cancer-Causing Toxins
- Rep. Slaughter reintroduces H.R. 965 the Preservation of Antibiotics for Medical Treatment Act
- School Cafeterias Move to Grassfed Beef
- The Daily Green: If You Eat Beef, Eat Grassfed Beef
- AGA Producer in the News: Tom Lasater of Our Pastures
- A Silent Forest: The Growing Threat of Genetically Engineered Trees
- Interview with Michael Pollan: California’s Food System. Where Is It Headed?
- Why Monsanto Always Wins
- Researcher: Roundup or Roundup-Ready Crops May Be Causing Animal Miscarriages and Infertility
- 2011 Good Eating Awards
- AGA Producer, White Oak Pastures, to add poultry processing
- Food Safety Modernization Act – By Michael Pollan
- Animal Welfare Approved® Program To Provide All Audits For American Grassfed Association ® Members At No Cost To Farmers
- Important Information on Changes to Processing Regulations
- Grassfed in the Headlines
- Grassfed in the Headlines : February 12,2008
- Grassfed in the Headlines : February 2008
- Grassfed in the Headlines : March 2008
- Grassfed in the Headlines : April 2008
- Grassfed in the Headlines : May 2008
- Grassfed in the Headlines : June