The Sustainable Farming Association is hosting a pair of two-day events featuring Dr. Allen Williams and Kent Solberg, “Dirt Rich: Building Soil Health Experts,” from 9 a.m. to 4
The Sustainable Farming Association is hosting a pair of two-day events featuring Dr. Allen Williams and Kent Solberg, “Dirt Rich: Building Soil Health Experts,” from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 8-9 in Faribault and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 10-11 in Blue Earth. Dig deeper into soil health opportunities, challenges, and monitoring with two preeminent soil health experts.
Details and registration below.
Dr. Williams, shown at right at our 2016 “Dirt Rich” field days, has thrice been a featured speaker at SFA’s Midwest Soil Health Summit. He is a champion of the grass-fed beef industry as well as a leader in cutting-edge grazing methodology. Solberg is well-known as SFA’s Livestock & Grazing Specialist.
Each day begins with a classroom session followed by lunch and then a caravan to a local farm. The programming will include discussion from Allen and Kent on topics like:
- What is soil health and how can we influence?
- Soil physical, chemical and biological characteristics
- Use and benefits of cover crops
- Livestock integration and adaptive grazing
- Field visit of three fields under different management
- Soil health indicators and monitoring tools
- Soil Bio-profile Analysis and what it looks like in the field
- View examples of cover crops, reduced tillage and seeding techniques
- Grazing paddock size, design, fencing and water systems
- How to build a paddock
The 2017 “Dirt Rich” series consists of separate two-day sessions – the same workshops held in two different regional locations. To register, choose one or the other.
Faribault Schedule (9 a.m.-4 p.m. | Aug. 8-9)
Both days begin with classroom portion at the Rice County Fairgrounds, 1900 Fairgrounds Dr (4-H Building).
- Aug. 8 – Field portion after lunch at Pork Chop Ridge Farm, 16936 Cannon City Blvd, Faribault
- Aug. 9 – Field portion after lunch at Hanappe Ranch, 3891 275th St. NW, Northfield
For directions to the 4-H building, call 507.330.0447.
Blue Earth Schedule (9 a.m.-4 p.m. | Aug. 10-11)
Both days begin with classroom portion at Faribault County Ag Center, 415 S Grove St, Blue Earth
- Aug. 10 – Field portion after lunch at Blue Dirt Farm, 7301 377th Ave., Blue Earth
- Aug. 11 – Field portion after lunch at the Andy Linder farm, Blue Earth
Cost for each two-day session: $80/SFA members; $100/nonmembers. Lunch included.
Info: Wayne Monsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.844.922.5573 Ext. 712.
A limited number of scholarships are available to attend either event. Geared toward ag service professionals, the scholarships are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here to apply.
August 8 (Tuesday) - September 9 (Saturday)
Rice County Fairgrounds
1900 Fairgrounds Dr, Faribault, MN