Ed Boyle, Director of Culinary Operations at the Seaport Hotel and World Trade Center in Boston
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
INGREDIENTS:For the vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- a 1/2- pound log of soft mild grassfed goat cheese, cut crosswise into 6 pieces
- an egg wash made by beating 1 large egg with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 small heads of Boston lettuce, washed well, spun dry, and shredded fine
- 1 small head of radicchio, washed well, spun dry, and shredded fine
Make the vinaigrette:
In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, the shallot, the garlic, the mustard, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the vinaigrette until it is emulsified.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Dip the goat cheese pieces into the egg wash, dredge them in the bread crumbs, and transfer them to a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake the goat cheese pieces in the middle of the oven for 6 minutes. While the goat cheese is baking, in a large bowl toss the lettuce and the radicchio with the vinaigrette and salt and pepper to taste.
Divide the salad among 6 plates, arrange 1 goat cheese piece on each plate, and serve the salads immediately.