Sloans Creek Farm ~ Dodd City, TX ~ AGA Member
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 lb. Grassfed lamb chops or leg roast, deboned and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 2 tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 large fresh, heirloom, tomatoes, skinned & chopped
- 1/2 lb of whole wheat or spelt elbow or shell macaroni pasta
- 2 cups of chicken or beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder or 1 small clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of celery powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of turbinado sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb of grated raw milk cheddar cheese
- Note: When available use locally produced or homegrown organic ingredients. Support your local, sustainable agricultural producers.
Trim fat, if any, from meat and cut into 1/2” cubes. Place in a casserole dish, sprinkle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes.
Then add chopped onion, garlic powder, celery powder, rosemary, and basil, and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir in tomatoes and tomato paste mixed with broth.
Add bay leaf, cloves, & sugar. Cover and bake in moderate oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir in macaroni and 1 cup of water, and cook for another 45 minutes, while stirring every 15 minutes.
Finally, remove cover, sprinkle cheese over top, and return to oven until cheese has melted. Remove from oven once cheese has melted and serve hot.