AGA Executive Director and Certified Executive Chef
- 4 Bacon strips (from grassfed pork) 1/2 c Onion, diced 1/2
- Bell pepper, diced ( Optional)
- 2 c FRESH Black-eyed peas -OR- 2 pkg (10 oz) frozen black-eyed peas
- 1/2 c Uncooked white rice (Texmatic, basmatic or jasmine)
- 2 c Water Salt & pepper, to taste
- Your favorite Hot Sauce, Vinegar sauce or catsup to taste
Dice bacon, brown in dutch oven with onion and pepper, until bacon is crisp and vegetables are soft.
Add peas and rice, then water.
Cover and simmer over very low heat about 20 minutes, until the rice is tender.
Salt & pepper to taste.
Add a dash of hot sauce,vinegar sauce or catsup
This dish is served all over the south on New Years day to bring good luck. Serve with Ham, greens, cornbread and buttermilk